Class "B" forsale (fwd)

Karl Denninger karl at Mcs.Net
Sun Mar 9 18:14:36 UTC 1997

On Sun, Mar 09, 1997 at 09:43:12AM -0800, Michael Dillon wrote:

> > > How much is your time (spent making up and writing the justification for
> > > a class B) worth?
> >
> > I think you miss my point, since the ARIN is for all intents and purposes
> > selling address space, who are they to say no?
>
> But ARIN is *NOT* selling address space. That is not the intent of ARIN
> nor is it the purpose of ARIN. With that thought in mind, try reading
> through the material at http://www.arin.net once again.
>
> > doing, but I certainly can't say anything 'wrong' about it either.
>
> Read RFC2050. It has this statement
>
>    7.  The transfer of IP addresses from one party to another must be
>        approved by the regional registries.  The party trying to obtain
>        the IP address must meet the same criteria as if they were
>        requesting an IP address directly from the IR.

Read RFC2008:

Rekhter & Li             Best Current Practice                  [Page 5]
RFC 2008                                                    October 1996

   "address ownership" policy, the organization would be able to use
   these addresses to gain access to the Internet routing services,
   regardless of where the organization connects to the Internet.

   While it has never been explicitly stated that various Internet
   Registries use the "address ownership" allocation policy, it has
   always been assumed (and practiced).

Oh oh... :-)

For address space assigned, transferred or delegated prior to October 1996,
you've got a problem.

> Michael Dillon                   -               Internet & ISP Consulting
> Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049
> http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael at memra.com

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, Web servers $75/mo
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| Email to "info at mcs.net" WWW: http://www.mcs.net/
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal