Any from PSI on this list?

Wayne Bouchard web at typo.org
Mon Jun 16 16:41:49 UTC 1997

I've heard this from various networks as well. While I find it
annoying, it does serve usefull purposes. More peering sessions mean
higher CPU load. higher CPU load can mean more instability within the
router. When the router crashes or otherwise reboots, it takes it
longer to resynchronize which means longer delays in convergance and
poorer overall service. Limiting the number of peering sessions on
really busy routers is a benefit, not a problem. The only thing that
could be asked of them would be that they investigate installing a
second router to offload some of the peering sessions so they don't
have such a backlog of requests and maybe provide load balancing. if
they are accepting applications, they need to provide facilities for
those requests to be implemented.

However, I still second the comment below..

> Please commend PSI for not making the situation at the MAEs worse, don't
> criticize them.  By connecting any more peers at ME/MW, it will simply
> add to the packetloss levels for all of us.
>
> Rob
> >
> > Alex,
> >
> > 	We executed peering agreements with PSI in May (1997) for peering at
> > MAE-EAST and MAE-WEST (signed, mailed, etc...)
> >
> > 	One of our engineers contacted them last week to turn up these peering
> > sessions and was told by PSI that even though we have an executed peering
> > agreement with you, "our routers at the MAE's are overloaded and we are not
> > currently turning up any new peers."

> > --
> > | Kyle C. Bacon
> > | VP Operations
> > | kbacon at fibernet.net
> > | http://www.fibernet.net
> >
> >  connecting your world...
> >
> > On Jun 16, 10:11am, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
> > > Subject: Any from PSI on this list?
> > >
> > > I can't seem to reach anyone at PSI who knows what I am talking about, so
> > > I thought I would try here.
> > >
> > > Lately, our connectivity to PSI has gotten worse; to the point where
> > > customers complaing about getting to sites from PSI.
> > >
> > > The thing is, PSI has a 'MEGA-PoP' about 14 feet away from me at 33
> > > Whitehall Street, in NYC.
> > >
> > > I know PSI peers there with a few folks; are they adding? How do you
> > > become considered for peering with PSI?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your time.
> > >
> > >-- End of excerpt from Alex Rubenstein
> >

> > --
> > | Kyle C. Bacon
> > | VP Operations
> > | kbacon at fibernet.net
> > | http://www.fibernet.net
> >
> >  connecting your world...

Wayne Bouchard                             GlobalCenter
web at primenet.com
Primenet Network Engineering               Internet Solutions for
(602) 416-6422   800-373-2499 x6422        Growing Businesses
FAX: (602) 416-9422
http://www.primenet.com                    http://www.globalcenter.net