[nsp] known networks for broadcast ping attacks

Craig A. Huegen c-huegen at quadrunner.com
Wed Jul 30 21:52:14 UTC 1997

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Jeffrey S. Curtis wrote:

==>(And to answer the proverbial "how do I configure my router for that"
==>in advance, the answer is that, at least on my boxes, the not-allowing-
==>broadcast-pings-through-as-broadcasts-onto-the-target-media thing is on
==>by default.  Source address filtering, however, is not.)

For Ciscos, "no ip directed-broadcast" on your interfaces will
prevent remote devices from sending directed broadcasts.  No guarantees
about applications it might break, though.

/cah