ANS etc.

Douglas Jardine djardine at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 30 01:44:24 UTC 1997

Hi,

This isn't really a North American Operational issue, but I couldn't
find a more appropriate list to post this on. Please bear with me.
I do hope that some of the replies would be useful to network operators.

[1] From what I know, ANS was formed by Merit, IBM and MCI in 1990 to
    run the NSFNET backbone. Could somebody update me on the current
    status of ANS - i.e. after NSFNETs demise in 1995, did ANS become
    independent and does it qualify as an NSP in its own right?

[2] Is there an equivalent to NANOG for Europe and Asia and is there
an equivalent list which discusses operational issues for these
    continents? Pointers appreciated.

[3] Is there a web page which lists all the public CIXs and NAPs
around the world? Pointers appreciated.

[4] Some recent threads on NANOG discussed physical layer issues like
    SONET, SDH, circuit layout etc. Could somebody point me to
technical papers / articles / books which describe fiber and
copper technology in detail.

TIA.
-dj