ANS etc.

Paul Ferguson pferguso at cisco.com
Wed Jul 30 02:22:31 UTC 1997

At 06:44 PM 07/29/97 PDT, Douglas Jardine wrote:

>Hi,
>
>This isn't really a North American Operational issue, but I couldn't
>find a more appropriate list to post this on. Please bear with me.
>I do hope that some of the replies would be useful to network operators.
>
>[1] From what I know, ANS was formed by Merit, IBM and MCI in 1990 to
>    run the NSFNET backbone. Could somebody update me on the current
>    status of ANS - i.e. after NSFNETs demise in 1995, did ANS become
>    independent and does it qualify as an NSP in its own right?

See:

 http://www.ans.net/WhyChooseANS/Overview/History.html

>[2] Is there an equivalent to NANOG for Europe and Asia and is there
>an equivalent list which discusses operational issues for these
>    continents? Pointers appreciated.

Yes, for Europe there's the RIPE-discuss list (for which I don't have
an immediate reference) and for Asia, there's the apops list:

 Asia Pacific Ops <apops at apnic.net>

>[3] Is there a web page which lists all the public CIXs and NAPs
>around the world? Pointers appreciated.

Yes, see:

 http://www.isi.edu:80/div7/ra/naps.html

>[4] Some recent threads on NANOG discussed physical layer issues like
>    SONET, SDH, circuit layout etc. Could somebody point me to
>technical papers / articles / books which describe fiber and
>copper technology in detail.

Start visiting you local technical bookstore.  :-)

- paul