Non-ISP companies multi-homing?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Thu Jul 24 00:59:29 UTC 1997

On Wed, Jul 23, 1997 at 05:04:29PM -0700, Mark Bixby wrote:
> netops writes:
> > Does anyone know of any non-ISP companies that have decided to
> > multi-home? Is this a major trend for non-ISP companies running
> > mission-critical applications on the Internet?
>
> We will be going multi-homed in about 2 weeks because the state of California
> has mandated that all community colleges sign up with 4C.net, but we don't
> want to give up our existing CERF.net connection.

Here's an interesting question: is it considered multi-homing to have
connections between an internal backbone and a commercial provider's
backbone in more than one location -- if it's the same commercial
provider?

I have in mind, particularly, people like HP.

My instincts tell me that it probably is, but I wonder what the routing
management differences might be.

Cheers,
-- jr 'if this is off-topic, reply off-list' a
The Suncoast Freenet      "People propose, science studies, technology
Tampa Bay, Florida          conforms."  -- Dr. Don Norman      +1 813 790 7592