Internet Backbone Index

Gary Zimmerman garyz at savvis.com
Wed Jul 9 14:32:51 UTC 1997

Sean did not know that Peering is what makes you a National Backbone
Provider.  It may make you what has been coined as a tier 1 provider, but I
do not see that this can scale as more companies access the net. If you
remember at the Nanog meeting, Randy address this model of 2 to 5
peers/transits if I remember the discuss and that is what we are doing at
SAVVIS.  Fortunately Our target markets are not just libraries and other
information providers, it's EVERYONE that needs a T1 and above connection
to the Internet.  How many cities are you in Sean, where are DRA's POPs for
customers to access?  How much bandwidth does DRA have to get these
customer to other network?  Let's compare bandwidth shall we.

When 80 to 90 percent of the Internet traffic is to MCI, SPRINT and UUNET
then our model is the right way to build this, not to try and see how many
peering agreements one can get.

You are right about our model,  IT WORKS.

Gary Zimmerman
V.P. of Network Engineering
Savvis Communications Corp.
email: garyz at savvis.com