Multiple fiber carriers (was Re: Netrail woes)

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Tue Aug 26 14:45:09 UTC 1997

On Tue, 26 Aug 1997, J.D. Falk wrote:

> > P.S. We have also learned not be be dependent on Worldcom. We will soon
> > buy our DS3s from 3 fibers carriers, and not just 1.
>
> 	I'd assume that everybody is currently either already doing
> 	this or planning to do it RSN.  How can one tell, however,
> 	whether their carrier is using their own fiber or leasing
> 	Worldcom's?  Or even if Worldcom has been leasing /theirs/,
> 	thus putting you right back on the same physical line?

You get the DLRs (Design Layout Records) and fiber maps from your fiber
carriers. You then check them all out to make sure they are on diverse
fiber. You also want to check the DLRs every few months to make sure they
have not been changed.

> 	I know this is a pretty common topic of discussion among
> 	the smaller telcos, but AFAIK there's no easy solution.

No, not a easy solution, but it can be done.

Nathan Stratton                             President, CTO, NetRail,Inc.
Phone   (888)NetRail                           NetRail, Inc.
Fax     (404)522-1939                          230 Peachtree Suite 500
WWW     http://www.netrail.net/                Atlanta, GA 30303