Ad Hoc, eDNS, AlterNIC and the bunch

Karl Denninger karl at mcs.net
Thu Apr 10 19:21:28 UTC 1997

On Thu, Apr 10, 1997 at 02:55:18PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Karl Denninger writes:
> > But the IANA does not own majority of those servers.
> >
> > In fact NSI owns many of them,
>
> One, operated as part of their cooperative agreement.

Really?  Then why has Paul Vixie posted publically that f.root-servers.net
was paid for in whole or part by NSI?

How many others are paid for in whole or part by NSI?

Perry, you're just dead wrong here.

> > and they do not appear to be consenting to this "work".
>
> I do not believe that their consent or lack thereof is an issue. NSI
> is a company doing a job under contract. I do not know if they do or
> do not believe otherwise, but that is not really material.

Hehehe...

> > Then again, the IAHC has failed to substantiate that any of the IANA servers
> > will actually *implement* any of their recommendations.
>
> I was unaware that such documentation was needed.
>
> Perry
> Speaking for myself and not in an official capacity.

Of course it is.  You can recommend anything you want, but if you have
nobody who will insert the pointers, its a worthless exercise in handwaving.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal