A modest proposal

Michael Dillon michael at memra.com
Wed Sep 18 02:23:26 UTC 1996

On Tue, 17 Sep 1996, Sean Donelan wrote:

> >Tracking down hacked machines would be quicker.  Sometimes you might
> >be able to track back to the source where you could pull the ANI
> >or callerid information out of the radius accounting logs and have
> >someone knocking on their door.  You only have to do this for 1 in 10
> >attacks before rumors spread around the hacker community and it stops.
>
> I hate to tell you, but ANI and caller-id can be spoofed too.

*AND* phone calls can be hijacked midstream which has been used to take
over dialin terminal connections *AFTER* the password has been given. Not
that different in effect from hijacking a TCP/IP session that uses
one-time passwords.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049