A modest proposal

Sean Donelan SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM
Wed Sep 18 02:07:07 UTC 1996

>Tracking down hacked machines would be quicker.  Sometimes you might
>be able to track back to the source where you could pull the ANI
>or callerid information out of the radius accounting logs and have
>someone knocking on their door.  You only have to do this for 1 in 10
>attacks before rumors spread around the hacker community and it stops.

I hate to tell you, but ANI and caller-id can be spoofed too.

However, I agree that encouraging as much source filtering as possible
would be "a good thing."  Just as long as people don't get the idea
that source filtering would make authentication by source IP address
any more secure than authentication by caller-id.

Now, if we could just get the phone company to not charge 1,000% markup
on caller-id, we'd have it on all our modem lines now.