The SWAMP

Mathias Koerber mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
Tue Sep 10 01:13:27 UTC 1996

On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Nick Hilliard wrote:

| Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 22:02:04 +0100 (BST)
| From: Nick Hilliard <nick at eunet.ie>
| To: nanog at merit.edu
| Cc: namedroppers at internic.net
| Subject: Re: The SWAMP
|
| > How about allocating some "good sounding" IP addresses for them,
| > (like 1.0.0.x/32) and hard-wiring them into resolver code?  Would
| > save quite a lot of configuration headaches for newbies.
|
| Hardwiring anything like this into a system like DNS sounds like a really
| bad idea if only for the simple reason that DNS is not just used on the
| Internet, but also within private networks.  Having hardwiring IP numbers in
| this case would cause headaches of unimaginable proportions.

I'm ambivalent on this. I think hardwiring the addresses is a good thing,
but a configuration flag should be provided to override the hardwired addresses
(this may simply be the existance of a 'cache' statement, or something
more explicit).

The real problem will be in re-education (or rather educating) all those DNS
admins out there who don't even know they are DNS admin :-)

regards

Mathias Koerber	  | Tel: +65 / 471 9820    |   mathias at staff.singnet.com.sg
SingNet NOC	  | Fax: +65 / 475 3273    |            mathias at koerber.org
Q'town Tel. Exch. | PGP: Keyid: 768/25E082BD, finger mathias at singnet.com.sg
2 Stirling Rd     |      1A 8B FC D4 93 F1 9A FC BD 98 A3 1A 0E 73 01 65
S'pore 148943     | Disclaimer: I speak only for myself
* Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft *