The SWAMP

Vadim Antonov avg at quake.net
Mon Sep 9 22:40:38 UTC 1996

Nick Hilliard <nick at eunet.ie> wrote:

> How about allocating some "good sounding" IP addresses for them,
> (like 1.0.0.x/32) and hard-wiring them into resolver code?  Would
> save quite a lot of configuration headaches for newbies.

>Hardwiring anything like this into a system like DNS sounds like a really
>bad idea if only for the simple reason that DNS is not just used on the
>Internet, but also within private networks.  Having hardwiring IP numbers in
>this case would cause headaches of unimaginable proportions.

Er.  This is _root zone_.  You either have access to it, or not.
Those are completely separated name spaces.   If you have an intranet
you may want to have internal routes for local roots.  A *lot* less
headache when all namseservers on all machines work out-of-box without
system administrator running in circles changing addresses.

Anyway, i would rather have an override for root NS addresses, instead of
required configuration.  How many root caches out there are configured with all
correct addresses?  My estimate is below 20%.

--vadim

PS.  Thanks to those who pointed that it is not resolver but rather cacheing NS.