You are right [was Re: Ungodly packet loss rates]

Mr. Jeremy Hall jhall at rex.isdn.net
Tue Oct 29 11:39:43 UTC 1996

well if you're going to compare ciscos and bay networks routers, consider
that Bay networks supports Rip, OSPF, BGP, and EGP. They do *NOT*
support communities in their production software, and they have *NO*
intentions of *EVER* supporting confederations. In adition, to handle
subnets, where you want the thing to summarise a subnet into a classful
route, the Bay's solution is to drop the route entirely. They also don't
seem to understand how to aggregate routes. Their solution there is also
to drop the route. They do not appear to have the option to announce the
aggregate with the routes. They also do not appear to have the option of
aggregating since the option they provide does not work. Their SNMP
agent only works on a few platforms, and in order to adequately solve a
routing problem, you need to have a *GOOD* understanding of the MIB. The
last time I enabled syslog on the box, the router reloaded several times
within a 5 hour period, causing instability in our small network, small
meaning under 200 routes.  I have fought with these things for 3 years
now and haven't seen much improvements. They have been promising NTP
support for quite some time now, since their routers don't have a
battery-powered clock.  Maybe the reason they can switch packets faster
and more reliably than ciscos is because they are unable to be placed in
a situation to really test their skills. The items I have shown here
make it VERRY difficult to allow one of these things to perform with
full routing because you cannot determine what it will do.
              | Jeremy Hall      Network Engineer |
              | ISDN-Net, Inc    Office +1-615-371-1625 |
              | Nashville, TN    and the southeast USA  |
              | jhall at isdn.net   Pager  +1-615-702-0750 |