You are right [was Re: Ungodly packet loss rates]

Marten Terpstra marten at BayNetworks.com
Tue Oct 29 12:19:07 UTC 1996

Jeremy,

The statements below contain so many inaccuracies that I am not even
going to try to correct them... I think this kind of needless and
completely inaccurate bashing is *way* out of line...

-Marten

"Mr. Jeremy Hall" <jhall at rex.isdn.net> writes
 * well if you're going to compare ciscos and bay networks routers, consider
 * that Bay networks supports Rip, OSPF, BGP, and EGP. They do *NOT*
 * support communities in their production software, and they have *NO*
 * intentions of *EVER* supporting confederations. In adition, to handle
 * subnets, where you want the thing to summarise a subnet into a classful
 * route, the Bay's solution is to drop the route entirely. They also don't
 * seem to understand how to aggregate routes. Their solution there is also
 * to drop the route. They do not appear to have the option to announce the
 * aggregate with the routes. They also do not appear to have the option of
 * aggregating since the option they provide does not work. Their SNMP
 * agent only works on a few platforms, and in order to adequately solve a
 * routing problem, you need to have a *GOOD* understanding of the MIB. The
 * last time I enabled syslog on the box, the router reloaded several times
 * within a 5 hour period, causing instability in our small network, small
 * meaning under 200 routes.  I have fought with these things for 3 years
 * now and haven't seen much improvements. They have been promising NTP
 * support for quite some time now, since their routers don't have a
 * battery-powered clock.  Maybe the reason they can switch packets faster
 * and more reliably than ciscos is because they are unable to be placed in
 * a situation to really test their skills. The items I have shown here
 * make it VERRY difficult to allow one of these things to perform with
 * full routing because you cannot determine what it will do.
 *  --
 *               | Jeremy Hall      Network Engineer |
 *               | ISDN-Net, Inc    Office +1-615-371-1625 |
 *               | Nashville, TN    and the southeast USA  |
 *               | jhall at isdn.net   Pager  +1-615-702-0750 |
 *