Airplane crashing into Atlanta-NAP

Nathan Stratton nathan at netrail.net
Sun Oct 27 05:36:23 UTC 1996

On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Michael Dillon wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Oct 1996, Deepak Jain wrote:
>
> > I know it was a joke, but thought I'd throw my $0.02 in.
>
> The only joke here is that some people think that the Internet exchange in
> a city the size and importance of Atlanta can be adequately housed on the
> 5th story of an office building.
>
> I could understand it if Atlanta had 20 or 30 exchange points, but when
> there is only one exchange the city deserves better than a mickey-mouse
> 5th floor operation.

Why not? the Atlanta NAP has 4 times as much space as MAE-East. We are not
a mickey-mouse operation. We started with backup everything, and with more
hardware then any of MFS NAPs have started with. We started our NAP with
gigaswitch, generator, dual fiber entrances, backup power feeds, and more.
Most NAPs don't start with this stuff they grow into it. Please don't slam
the Atlanta-NAP until you have check us and a few other NAPs out. I think
you will see that we are not a mickey-mouse operation.

P.S. Have you check out what MAE-Atlanta is starting out with? They have
less space then us, will not be up for 6 - 8 more months, will not have a
UPS, and will only start with a catlyst.