Cisco as Big Brother (Was Re: Cisco's AIP vs HSSI)

Tony Li tli at jnx.com
Fri Oct 18 07:58:03 UTC 1996

   > Yes, you can, but you have to do it under the table and via direct
   > contacts.  And a bottle of cask strength single malt will help.  ;-)

   You know, I find it hard to think of this as a feature - especially
   given the number of times the "quick hack" broke something else. And
   it's always missing the next release of the software.

Well, then you obviously never Really Needed It.  ;-)  Yes, of course it's
going to break something.  If you want it without the bureaucracy, then you
get it without the bureaucracy.  Or the testing.  Or the (damn slow)
release train.

So if you think that the back door is a bug, please don't use it.

   It takes an Act of God to get Bay to release a fix - but it works when
   they release it, and it works in the next full release too.

The front door at cisco does work for bug fixes.  And it's probably about
the same Act Of God to get a release.  Choose the door that you prefer.
;-)

Now, if your complaint is about the bureaucracy that causes both of these
organizations to be geologically slow, well, what can I say...  I don't
work there anymore.  ;-)

Tony