CIDR,Sprint and the Big Guys.

Christian Nielsen cnielsen at vii.com
Fri Apr 5 04:07:40 UTC 1996

	I think we all agree that CIDR is a good thing, I have no
problems with it and feel that we should use it as best we can. The
problems that I see, yes I know this has been said before, it is getting
harder and harder for the little guy to get IPs from the Nic. Now that
Sprint is saying that you now need a /16 to route over their network, I
don't see the nic just handing out /16s like they did with the /19 or
before that the /20s etc..

	And Just because I have nothing else to do, except work, sleep,
work, internet, eat, work, sleep, I did some looking around.

[21]/export/home/c/cnielsen> whois 208.0.0.0
Sprint (NETBLK-SPRINTLINK-BLKS)

   Netname: SPRINTLINK-BLKS
   Netblock: 208.0.0.0 - 208.3.255.0

	Here now shows that Sprint is getting a /15 from the nic and that
they can now server more customers, move their ips around with little
problem, etc. But what about some other ISP? Can they get a /15? Nope.
But I bet you that if Sprint wanted to or even MCI for that matter, they
could get a /14 or a /13 from the nic.

	How can we solve this problem? How can we make sure that everyone
has equal access to IP addresses to make IP addresses usable around the
Net, save on router memory etc? This is how I would do it.

	Move into the 206.10.0.0 - 206.15.0.0

	Any ISP/NSP that can provide a good network outline, showing not
only how they plan to put into pratice but show their current setup,
locations, etc. will be assigned a /16 in the range above. That would
give about 1200 ISPs /16s.

	Now, to make sure they are being conservative with their
networks, routing tables, CIDR, etc. Explain to the ISP that the only way
they are going to get a /16 is if they renumber their whole network. This
will return a lot of larger /20 and above address space to the nic and
reduce the size of the routing table on the net.

	Now, why can't something like this be done? Trust me, If you gave
me /16, I would have all my customers re-number, re-number all my hosts,
etc in about 6 months, which is about the timeline I would bive.

	But than again, we can go along as we do, the larger keep getting
larger and the rest of us have to fight for IPs.

	ok, now off the soap box.

Christian Nielsen
Vyzynz International Inc.       cnielsen at vii.com,CN46,KB7HAP
Phone 801-568-0999              Fax 801-568-0953
Private Email - Christian at Nielsen.Net   BOFH - cnielsen at one.dot PS :)