join the Internet Backbone

Christian Nielsen cnielsen at vii.com
Sat Apr 6 00:27:09 UTC 1996

On Fri, 5 Apr 1996, Avi Freedman wrote:

> We have a local, new, competitor who generally lies out his ass and also says
> 'We are the Internet backbone.  Only we can offer you 100% Full Bandwidth'.
> They have a T1 to a provider with a T1 to MCI and a T1 to AGIS.

	I guess you could get that in writting from him and than sue him
when there is a problem, ie not getting 100%. I know of an FTP site that
could fill that up :)

> Of course, they claim to have 3 T3s and they claim that MAE-East an
> unimportant private exchange point between AT&T and Sprint.

	Well, having a T3 is really no big deal, or having fiber. Lets
see, we run fiber in our office, so we fiber to the net.

> And they solicit our customers, sigh.

	The bad thing about AS's, Internic, etc. Everyone knows who your
customers are :(

> And someone with 2 T1s to Sprint has been saying "We are *the* Internet
> Backbone in South Jersey".

	*sigh* I guess this goes on everywhere.

	I guess that the only way to be the 'winner' in this market is to
be truthfull to the customers. One of the ISPs in Utah has NO tech
support to turn on new customers at this time, and they have a T3 to
sprint, :( And one of our customers who is going to them, they cut our
price by 75% is about to be cut off. And they say the Law of the Harvest
is not true.

	Sad internet.

	On another note, in routing in the internet, it talks about if
you are having more than a 2% packet loss, you need to get it fixed. Well
we are seeing over 20% at some places.. And the Internet is going well?
Also, the Utah REP, based on Dave Segiels Phoenix REP, will be up this
week for anyone in the Utah Area looking for a place to connect.

Christian Nielsen
Vyzynz International Inc.       cnielsen at vii.com,CN46,KB7HAP
Phone 801-568-0999              Fax 801-568-0953
Private Email - Christian at Nielsen.Net   BOFH - cnielsen at one.dot PS :)