Motion for a new POST NSF AUP

Michael Dillon michael at junction.net
Mon Oct 16 19:20:59 UTC 1995

On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Bill Woodcock wrote:

>     I don't expect such a non-binding AUP to have any short-term or
>     dramatic effect on end-user behaviour, however.

The AUP won't have much effect, but the after-effects will. Once the AUP
is announced we will get press coverage about it, any new Internet books
and articles will point out the rules of conduct on the Internet and
mention that breaking the rules could get you kicked out. All this will
make people aware that there ARE rules and that spam is not liked.
Publicity, publicity and more publicity.

Besides, I believe ISOC has been working on a code of conduct for almost
a year. I recall reading about it last fall somewhere at http://www.isoc.org

Michael Dillon                                    Voice: +1-604-546-8022
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-542-4130
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael at memra.com