Comments

Tim Salo tjs at msc.edu
Thu Sep 1 21:48:37 UTC 1994

> From: bmanning at ISI.EDU
> Subject: Re: Comments
> To: ltwu at faline.bellcore.com (Liang T. Wu)
> Date: Tue, 30 Aug 1994 08:07:28 -0700 (PDT)
> Cc: bmanning at ISI.EDU, iepg at iepg.org, nanog at merit.edu, nap-info at merit.edu
>
> Thank you for your insightful comments.  I would like to be enlightened
> on exactly how a proposed migration from RFC1490 to RFC1483/1577 will
> occur.  As I understand it, there needs to be a translation method
> between NLPID and LLC/SNAP. There seem to be other locations in the
> stack where translation must occur. Is there capability today or even
> planned that will do these translations?
> 	[...]

I would migrate, rather than translate.

Depending on the Cisco 7000 HSSI and/or AIP microcode, an ATM NAP could
migrate a PVC at a time or the whole NAP at once.

I assume that this migration will occur before NAPs become very large.

[By the way, translation between RFC 1490 (NLPID) and RFC 1577 (LLN/SNAP)
is still an issue for frame relay interworking units, even if it isn't
required for 1490-1577 migration in an ATM-only NAP.]

-tjs