CIDR deployment

owen at netcom.com owen at netcom.com
Sat Mar 19 01:25:54 UTC 1994

> >> Of course!  Just a question?  How can Jessica (or anyone at Merit/ANS
> >> Sprint, Ebone or anyone else reselling) -prevent- the customer from
> >> doing aggregation once (M/A, Sprint, Alternet, Ebone) are cidr capable?
> >>

> >  Don't beleive them.
> >

> Perhaps I was not clear. If I (NSP to the world) claim the be cidr capable
> and willing to accept & transit cidr routes,  what basis do I have to
> restrict my clients from sending me aggregated routes?  If I follow the
> advice given above, (from a number of folks), then I am capricious in
> acceptance of stated policy.  Merit/ANS should accept my NACR for route
> addition/removal as long as it affects nets that are verifiably mine.
> Sprint, Alternet, and Ebone are in the same boat (I think).
>
> Can any of us arbitrarily deny our clients?  I think not.  If I choose to
> have Merit/ANS remove more specific routes, I think they are obligated to
> do so.  Is this true?  That way, -I- am responsible, not my provider.
>

> --
> Regards,
> Bill Manning

Here's what happens...
	When a customer switches from provider-A (PA) to provider-B (PB)

	PB sends NACR for customer networks (CNETS) to ANS
	ANS sends NACR to PA for approval
	PA sends approval to ANS (or not, at PA's discretion)
	ANS processes NACR

If PA decides not to approve the NACR, the NACR does not happen.  The
issue can eventually be forced, and it is usually easier to renumber
the customer.  Some less professional providers have done this.  Other
providers have gone so far as to issue their customers individual
8 bit subnets of class B networks owned by the provider.  In fact,
some providers (reasonably so, IMHO) refuse to approve a NACR until
the leaving customer has paid their final bill (or the bill up to
current, anyway).  Afterall, turning someone off for not paying for
service IS a reasonable collections tactic.  It's used by almost every
utility, and Network Service Providers, although competitive, are basically
a utility.  If the network number moves somewhere else, then the old
provider has no ability to shut down the connection.

Owen DeLong
Netcom Network Operations