!! (fwd)

Scott Williamson scottw at internic.net
Wed Feb 2 18:15:55 UTC 1994

>   > I have asked the question many time.  "What is a provider?".  Once
>   > the CIDR allocation started the "Providers" came out of the
>   > woodworks.  No one so far has given an answer to the question that
>   > the majority can agree with. I will not be at the regional tech
>   > meeting in CA but Mark will.  I don't know a group better suited
>   > to answer the question that established providers. Do us a favor
>   > and come up with a proposed answer to "What is a provider".  I
>   > will work with NSF and Postel to make it policy. This would make
>   > our life easier.
>
> The "regional-techs" group is not a suitable group to make policy
> about who can and can't be a network service provider.  For quite a
> while in its life, it was a group that had no intention of letting
> non-NSF sponsored networks have any access to their meetings.
> As a result there is very close to no participation by any of the
> emerging public access Internet providers, the very group that is
> most likely to want to get address blocks of their own to hand out to
> their customers.

I was not asking regional-techs to make policy. I was asking for help
defining  "what is a provier ?".  Things are changing very fast ....
i do not want to wake up six months from now to find that the allocations
done incorrectly or should have been done more effienctly. I only ask for
help in making the determination of where to or if to draw the line.  Messages
from Richard, John, and  Bill were very helpful. A gread deal of concern has
been express about this question.  The definition may not really matter and
after asking this question for the last year i don't know if there is a
definition.

********* This is happening more and more ( 1 to 2 new per day )******
I just setup a network to be a IP service provider. I am  connected to
provider A and they are connected to provider B the interconnection to
other network only occur at provider B. I want MY block of 256 or 1024.

Scott