!! (fwd)

Jeff.Ogden at um.cc.umich.edu Jeff.Ogden at um.cc.umich.edu
Thu Feb 3 12:04:26 UTC 1994

I agree that the regional-techs group cannot set policy on who is or isn't
a provider or who does or doesn't get address space. However, I think they
can talk about these issues and make recommendations on what should be done.
In fact I think it is important that they do so.  The sooner the better.

It seems that the right way to make "policy" is to take recommendations,
write an RFC and go through that entire process with the whole business
finally endorsed by the IAB. Should try to get other groups to endorse
the RFC as well (FARNET, the US Federal policy group the name of which
I can never keep straight, the folks in Europe, ...).  My guess is that
if we can come up with a reasoanble policy that most folks in the Internet
will follow it.

  -Jeff Ogden
   Merit/MichNet