BGP Deployment Group Meeting

Jessica Yu jyy at merit.edu
Mon Mar 9 15:34:56 UTC 1992

Hi,

The BGP Deployment Group Meeting is scheduled at 7-10 pm Tue Mar. 17 at this
comming IETF meeting at San Diego.  One of the topics will be discussed in
this session is the mechanism for each domain to describe its routing policy
and share them.  As you know, sharing routing policy information is a means
in helping avoiding domains set contradictary routing policies which leads
packets go nowhere.  It is importand for the enviroment which use routing
protocols supports policy routing.  Developing the sharing mechanism is
one of the goal of this group.

As a start, in our meeting at this ietf, we are going to develope a routing
policy description form which hopefully will include all the policy
descriptions we think is necessary to share.  The policy description language
in this form will be plain English initially but will be evolving to a common
description language understood by machine.  we will also discuss the
mechansim of gathering and destribution of the form.

I came up with a draft form which include some suggests from Yakov (thanks
Yakov).  I am including this draft form below.  Please read it before our
meeting and bring your comments and suggestions.   Thanks!

By the way, I will post an agenda shortly.

						--Jessica

Routing Policy Description Form (Draft)
-------------------------------

A. General Description of your domain

a. List your Domain and the AS number(s)

b. List the Routing administrator of the Domain

	Name:
	e-mail:
	phone number:

c. List the networks that belong to your domain and mark them with RE or
   non-RE type if applicable.

d. List your direct neighbor domain(s) and its AS number(s)

e. List each IP address of your border router(s) which interface with your
   neighbor border router(s) and the Exterior Routing Protocol(s) used
   respectivly.

f. Are your domain a
		Stub domain?
		Multi-homed Stub domain?
		Transit domain?
		Pure Transit domain?

g. List the IGP used within your domain (optional for a non-transit domain)

h. Describe the average bandwidth of your domain (optional for a non-transit
   domain)

i. Describe the delay characteristic of average physical links, e.g. satellite,
   terriestrial, of your domain (optional for a non-transit domain)

B. Policy Descriptions

	If you are a stub domain:

		o Outbound advertisement filtering: list the set of nets belong
		  to your domain that you do not advertise to your neighbor.

                o Inbound acceptance filtering: list the set of ASs whose
                  nets you do or (do not) accept from your neighbor(s)
                  If AS number is not a satisfactory granularity, list the
                  set of nets.

		o Describe your routing policy based on your AUP (e.g. RE
	          vs non-RE traffic, etc.)

		o Does your border router default to your neighbor border
		  router?

	If you are a multi-homed stub domain:

		o Outbound advertisement filtering: list the nets belong to
		  your domain that you do not advertise to your neighbors.

		o Inbound acceptance filtering: list the set of ASs whose
                  nets you do or (do not) accept from your neighbor(s)
                  If AS number is not a satisfactory granularity, list the
                  set of nets.

		o List the prefrence/denial of the neighbor ASs which can route
	  	  your traffic to the same destination.

		o Describe your routing policy based on your AUP (e.g. RE
                  vs non-RE traffic, etc.)

                o Do you point default to your neighbor(s)?  If yes,
		  describe the mechanism.

	If you are a transit domain:

		o Outbound advertisement filtering: list the nets belong to
		  you (not a pure transit domain) that you do not advertise
		  advertise to your direct neighbors

                o Inbound acceptance filtering: list the set of ASs whose
                  nets you do or (do not) accept from your neighbor(s)
                  If AS number is not a satisfactory granularity, list the
                  set of nets.

		o List the paris of source/destination ASs or nets that your
		  domain does not provide transitivity with.

		o List the prefrence/denial of the ASs which can route your
                  traffic to a certain destination.