SRI's Dan Lynch dies

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Mar 31 19:19:02 UTC 2024

>From Lauren Weinstein @ PRIVACY Digest:

"""
Dan Lynch, one of the key people involved in building the Internet and
ARPANET before it, has died.

Dan was director of computing facilities at SRI International, where
ARPANET node #2 was located and he worked on development of TCP/IP, and
where the first packets were received from our site at UCLA node #1 to
SRI, and later at USC-ISI led the team that made the transition from the
original ARPANET NCP protocols to TCP/IP for the Internet. And much more.

Peace. -L
"""

He was well written up across the web, but here's a 2021 piece for those
who aren't as familiar with his background:

https://www.internethalloffame.org/2021/04/19/dan-lynchs-love-brilliant-complexity-fuels-early-internet-development-growth/

And his IHoF induction speech:

http://opentranscripts.org/transcript/dan-lynch-ihof-2019-speech/

I would note his age here, as obits usually do, but it seems unusually difficult
to learn.

Happy landings, Mr Lynch.

Cheers,
-- jra