Networks ignoring prepends?

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Wed Jan 24 09:36:04 UTC 2024

All,

> But that ship seems to have sailed.

The problem is well known and it consists of two orthogonal aspects:

#1  - Ability to signal the preference of which return path to choose by
arbitrary remote ASN

#2 - Actually applying this preference by remote ASN.

For #1 I have proposed some time back a new set of well known wide
communities defined in section 2.2.4 of this draft:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-idr-registered-wide-bgp-communities-02#section-2.2.4

Perhaps one day this will surface such that operators will be able to
signal their preference without extending AS-PATH or trashing the table
with more specifics.

For #2 it is quite likely that the economical aspect plays a role here. So
it could be that accepting such a preference may not be for free. But
before that happens BGP for obvious reasons should be secured and updates
should be signed. And we all know how fast that is going to happen.

Kind regards,
Robert