Shared cache servers on an island's IXP

Jérôme Nicolle jerome at ceriz.fr
Thu Jan 18 14:38:31 UTC 2024

Hello Mehmet,

Le 18/01/2024 à 12:58, Mehmet a écrit :
> VMs are no go for big content companies except Microsoft. You can run
> Microsoft CDN on VM but rest of the content will need to be cached. You
> can actually install this yourself

I've already read most docs for caching servers provided by major
actors. What I'm mostly concerned about is their ability to peer with
multiple AS on the local IXP, as to not over-replicate them.

Should I establish a dedicated network peering on the IXP ? Or will they
come with their own ASNs ? The peering case is quite not documented on
publicly available specs, if even possible.

> Depending on how much traffic do you have , you may be able to get
> facebook, youtube, netflix caches i think minimum bw requirement changes
> per region

Those I'm nearly sure I could get, if I can pool caches amongst ISPs.
The current constraints are issues to any content provider, not just for
local ISPs.

Best regards,

--
Jérôme Nicolle