"Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating

bzs at theworld.com bzs at theworld.com
Wed Jan 17 01:17:33 UTC 2024

Others have pointed to references, I found some others, it's all
pretty boring but perhaps one should embrace the general point that
some equipment may not like abrupt temperature changes.

But phones (well, modern mobile phones) don't generally have moving
parts.

So the issue is more likely with things like hard drives, the kind
with fast spinning platters with heads flying microns above those
platters, or even just fans and similar gear.

It leads me to another question which is that IN THE BEFORE DAYS you
had to wait to remove a removable disk until you were sure it was spun
down, maybe 30 seconds or so. If you lifted one and felt that
gyroscopic pull you may well have toasted it.

Today we have spinning disks in laptops you can toss across the room
or whatever so clearly they solved that problem. And they're
apparently a lot more tolerant of temperature and other environmental
changes.

So the tolerances may be much greater than one is ever likely to run
into.

I'm still not sure I'd be comfortable opening the windows to let
sub-freezing air into a 120F room with petabytes of spinning rust.

P.S. Please don't tell me what an SSD is. Yes they're probably much
more tolerant of environmental changes.

--
        -Barry Shein