"Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating

Robert Mercier RMercier at nextdimensioninc.com
Tue Jan 16 13:57:48 UTC 2024

For gear climate controls and rate of change look at ASHRAE ratings on the equipment.  Most vendors publish the rating of equipment on their data sheets (sometimes they include the ASHRAE rating), and it gives the required operating conditions as well as acceptable rates of change.  Most well run data centres follow these recommendations; this “hypothetical” data centre normally does as well, but may have missed some maintenance tasks it appears.  I have equipment in the same building which hasn’t been effected in another providers suite.

The ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers) has a committee - ASHRAE Technical Committee 9.9 that covers Mission Critical Facilities, Data Centers, Technology Spaces and Electronic Equipment.

2021 Data Center Cooling Resiliency Brief

https://tpc.ashrae.org/Documents?cmtKey=fd4a4ee6-96a3-4f61-8b85-43418dfa988d

2016 ASHRAE Data Center Power Equipment Thermal Guidelines and Best Practices

https://tpc.ashrae.org/Documents?cmtKey=fd4a4ee6-96a3-4f61-8b85-43418dfa988d

2020 Cold Weather Shipping Acclimation and Best Practices (included this one because it is fitting this time of year)

https://tpc.ashrae.org/FileDownload?idx=809784d5-911b-4e9a-a2da-ff3ab6ff9eea

BTW; it hit -50°C (-58°F) in Alberta last week and you aren’t hearing about the data centres in that province going offline.  The record low for Chicago was -27°F set in 1985; this building wasn’t a data centre at that time, and only became a data centre in 1999 so they would have known how cold it could get there when they did the initial system planning and should have accounted for this.

Rob

[cid:25-3_b9d46eb0-9a15-418d-a30b-ea51cacaf6f8.png]
Robert Mercier

CTO

Next Dimension Inc.

[mobilePhone]