IPv6 Traffic Re: IPv6? Re: Where to Use 240/4 Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Jan 15 09:09:05 UTC 2024

On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 at 10:59, jordi.palet--- via NANOG <nanog at nanog.org> wrote:

> No, I’m not saying that. I’m saying "in actual deployments", which doesn’t mean that everyone is deploying, we are missing many ISPs, we are missing many enterprises.

Because of low entropy of A-B pairs in bps volume, seeing massive
amounts of IPv6 in IPv6 enabled networks is not indicative of IPv6
success. I don't disagree with your assertion, I just think it's
damaging, because readers without context will form an idea that
things are going smoothly.  We should rightly be in panic mode and
forget all the IPv4 extension crap and start thinking how do we ensure
IPv6 happens and how do we ensure we get back to single stack
Internet.

IPv6 is very much an afterthought, a 2nd class citizen today. You can
deploy new features and software without IPv6, and it's fine. IPv6 can
be broken, and it's not an all-hands-on-deck problem, no one is
calling.

--
  ++ytti