IPv6 Traffic Re: IPv6? Re: Where to Use 240/4 Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

jordi.palet at consulintel.es jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Jan 15 08:01:49 UTC 2024

All those measurements are missing the amount of traffic in the caches located at the ISPs.

For each download passing thru AMSIX, there are thousands of multiples of that download (videos, music, documents, static contents, OS updates, etc.) flowing to thousands of customers. In some cases is even hundreds of thousands, or even millions.

There is not an easy way to measure IPv6 traffic, unless it is done at the ISP level, and if you as, to ISPs that have deployed IPv6, they will tell you different numbers. For example, T-Mobile already explained a few years ago in v6ops that they were having over 75% of IPv6 traffic, 24% in the NAT64 and 1% in the CLAT+NAT64.

In actual customer deployments I see the same levels, even up to 85% of IPv6 traffic. It basically depends on the usage of the caches and the % of residential vs corporate customers.

Regards,
Jordi

@jordipalet

> El 15 ene 2024, a las 7:50, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> escribió:
>
> On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 at 06:18, Forrest Christian (List Account) <lists at packetflux.com <mailto:lists at packetflux.com>> wrote:
>
>> If 50٪ of the servers and 50% of the clients can do IPv6, the amount of IPv6 traffic will be around 25% since both ends have to do IPv6.
>
> This assumes cosmological principle applies to the Internet, but Internet traffic is not uniformly distributed.
>
> It is entirely possible, and even reasonable, that AMSIX ~5% and GOOG 40% are bps shares, and both are correct. Because AMSIX sees large entropy between A-B end-points, GOOG sees very low entropy, it being always the B.
>
> Certain tier1 transit network could see traffic being >50% IPv6 between two specific pops, so great IPv6 adoption? Except it was a single CDN sending traffic from them to them, if you'd exclude that CDN flows between the pop, the IPv6 traffic share was low single digit percentage.
>
> I am not saying IPv6 traffic is not increasing, I am saying that we are not doing any favours to anyone, pretending we are on-track and that this will happen, and that there are organic drivers which will ensure we are going to end up with IPV6-only Internet.
>
> --
>   ++ytti

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?