IPv6 Traffic Re: IPv6? Re: Where to Use 240/4 Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Jan 15 06:50:39 UTC 2024

On Mon, 15 Jan 2024 at 06:18, Forrest Christian (List Account) <
lists at packetflux.com> wrote:

If 50٪ of the servers and 50% of the clients can do IPv6, the amount of
> IPv6 traffic will be around 25% since both ends have to do IPv6.

This assumes cosmological principle applies to the Internet, but Internet
traffic is not uniformly distributed.

It is entirely possible, and even reasonable, that AMSIX ~5% and GOOG 40%
are bps shares, and both are correct. Because AMSIX sees large entropy
between A-B end-points, GOOG sees very low entropy, it being always the B.

Certain tier1 transit network could see traffic being >50% IPv6 between two
specific pops, so great IPv6 adoption? Except it was a single CDN sending
traffic from them to them, if you'd exclude that CDN flows between the pop,
the IPv6 traffic share was low single digit percentage.

I am not saying IPv6 traffic is not increasing, I am saying that we are not
doing any favours to anyone, pretending we are on-track and that this will
happen, and that there are organic drivers which will ensure we are going
to end up with IPV6-only Internet.

--
  ++ytti