How threading works (was Re: Root Cause Re: 202401102221.AYC Re: Streamline The CG-NAT Re: 202401100645.AYC Re: IPv4 address block)

Christopher Hawker chris at thesysadmin.au
Sun Jan 14 22:41:30 UTC 2024

Bryan:

> Gmail is therefore in violation of the RFC5822.  It's quite clear how it
should work per the RFC appendix.

Actually, no it's not. RFC5322 reads: "This specification is not intended
to dictate ... any of the characteristics of user interface programs that
create or read messages".

5822 has not been issued, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc5822.

Abraham:

> For more than one year, I have been accused of breaking the eMail
etiquette established by a standard, yet identified.

If multiple people have been asking you for over a year to not change
subject headings on emails, does this not indicate a bigger issue regarding
your mailing list etiquette? The fact that it continues indicates a
complete disregard. I cannot think of one technical reason to include a
manual timestamp in a subject line (such as your 202401102221.AYC).

> If we have trouble to keep our communication tool's framework solid, we
will be spending needless extra resources on technical discussions. This is
not productive.

One person changing the subject line of a mailing list thread every few
emails for their own benefit, and no one else, is not productive. There is
nothing wrong with MUAs currently in use. A user adapts to the MUA, not the
other way around.

> Obviously, I am just barely able to read the exchanges on this thread due
to so many terminologies that I have never heard of.

If a number of people on a mailing list were using terminologies that I
didn't understand, I would:
1. Listen to and understand what they are saying.
2. Contact them off-list and ask for clarification.
3. Heed their advice.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker