IPv6 uptake (was: The Reg does 240/4)

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Sat Feb 17 14:16:23 UTC 2024

> Any given layer of security can be breached with expense and effort.
> Breaching every layer of security at the same time is more challenging
> than breaching any particular one of them. The use of NAT adds a layer
> of security to the system that is not otherwise there.
>

> Think of it like this: you have a guard, you have a fence and you have
> barbed wire on top of the fence. Can you secure the place without the
> barbed wire? Of course. Can an intruder defeat the barbed wire? Of
> course. Is it more secure -with- the barbed wire? Obviously.

Bill-

In a security context, NAT/PAT only provides *obfuscation* of the internal
numbering and source ports of the networks on the inside of the NAT/PAT
device. "Security by obscurity" is a well debunked maxim by now. Any
perceived benefits that obscurity provides are gone as soon as the
information attempting to be hidden can be discovered, or the methods by
which it functions are known. It may slightly deter the lazy, but
techniques to discover the otherwise 'hidden' numbering and port usage have
existed for decades.