The Reg does 240/4

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Feb 14 02:03:03 UTC 2024

Christopher,

On Feb 13, 2024, at 4:14 PM, Christopher Hawker <chris at thesysadmin.au> wrote:
> This is a second chance to purposefully ration out a finite resource.

Perhaps I’m overly cynical, but other than more players and _way_ more money, the dynamics of [limited resource, unlimited demand] don’t appear to have changed significantly from the first time around. However, I suspect the real roadblock you’ll face in policy discussions (aside from the folks who make their money leasing IPv4 addresses) is the argument that efforts to ration and thereby extend the life of IPv4 will continue to distort the market and impede the only useful signal to network operators regarding the costs of remaining with IPv4 compared to supporting IPv6.  Good luck!

Regards,
-drc