NANOG 90 Attendance?

Glen A. Pearce nanog at ve4.ca
Wed Feb 14 00:54:59 UTC 2024

On 11/02/2024 7:56 a.m., Tom Beecher wrote:
> Yup. Post pandemic, the unfortunate hotel situation, and a non-zero
> number of companies still have tight travel budgets.
>
> It's been slowly creeping back though.

Except we aren't really "post-pandemic" despite the claims that we are.

As long as COVID exists and we don't reach eradication there are going to
be a number of people who might have otherwise participated in these
types of events that will opt not to if they have the choice. Unfortunately
I don't see us eradicating COVID as long as governments succeed at
convincing people that it's not a problem anymore because that's easier
than taking on the people that throw a fit if pandemic control measures
inconvenience them.

Info on what a problem COVID still is from some of the few people that
still write about it:
https://www.okdoomer.io/its-that-bad/
https://www.textise.net/showText.aspx?strURL=https%253A//www.normalcyfugitive.com/p/the-pandemic-isnt-over

Now I know I can't tell people what to do but I can share what I know
if it might help some people.  This pandemic has been one failure after
another with the virus being underestimated at every turn.  I have
thoughts on what I think should be done to get us to eradication
but that gets political and probably too off topic for NANOG.

So back to the topic, because of this situation there will always be some
people opting out of gatherings wherever possible as long as this drags
on and we won't ever be fully back to "normal" as much as many
people try to fake normal.  (I think Jessica at okdoomer had it nailed
when she used the term "cosplaying 2019".)  It may be a little less
obvious as most of the people opting out aren't really being vocal
about why, they just aren't showing up.

As for why the sales people are still showing up...
...detachment from reality has long been a big part of "sales culture".
(Whereas it's not an inherent into "techy culture".)

--
Glen A. Pearce
gap at ve4.ca
Network Manager, Webmaster, Bookkeeper, Fashion Model and Shipping Clerk.
Very Eager 4 Tees
http://www.ve4.ca
ARIN Handle VET-17