maximum ipv4 bgp prefix length of /24 ?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Sep 29 20:55:00 UTC 2023

I have known Mike for many years. I have my disagreements with him and my criticisms of him.

However, HE decided to stop their free bop tunnel services due to problems with abuse. A free service
which becomes a magnet for problems isn’t long for this world. It’s unfortunate, but boils down to the
usual fact that vandals are the reason the rest of us can’t have nice things. I have trouble seeing how
one can blame Mike for that.

HE has continued to operate their free tunnel service in general and still provides a very large number
of free tunnels. They also provide a number of other services for free and at very reasonable prices.
I don’t see very many major providers giving back to the community to the extent that HE does.

At this point, if anyone should pay for IPv6 transit between Cogent and HE, Cogent should be the
one paying as they have the (significantly) smaller and less connected IPv6 network. Mike is willing
to peer with Cogent for free, just like any other ISP out there. He’s not asking Cogent for free
transit. Cogent is the one with the selective peering policy.

Owen

Full disclosure, yes, I worked for HE for several years and I am a current HE customer.
I am the person behind the (in)famous IPv6 Peering Cake.