[EXTERNAL] Charter DNS servers returning malware filtered IP addresses

Tim Burke tim at mid.net
Tue Oct 31 01:22:28 UTC 2023

Agreed, it should be 100% opt-in… and I don’t even like the idea of providing filtered DNS at all.

But sadly, judging by the number of neighborhood Facebook group posts I see from people complaining about “their wifi being down” during yet another fiber cut, there are an increasingly large number of end users that expect their ISPs to provide a 100% idiot-proof solution. Security filtering is part of that solution, along with all of the ’set and forget’ mesh wifi systems that clog up spectrum worse than an overdriven CB radio.

Certainly not bulletproof, but as the movie “Idiocracy” turns more and more into a documentary, I think solutions like this will become more commonplace. As long as clueful users can disable it without trouble, I’m perfectly fine with it.