ARIN whois contact abuse from ipv4depot aka Silicon Desert International Inc

tim at pelican.org tim at pelican.org
Fri Oct 13 15:22:49 UTC 2023

On Friday, 13 October, 2023 16:04, "Laura Smith via NANOG" <nanog at nanog.org> said:

> RIPE could do the same.  And some might argue that it is easier for RIPE because
> all we are asking is for a valid abuse contact, so its not like Nominet who have
> to verify e.g. registrant company ID numbers.

They do.  In previous lives, I've regularly been on the receiving end of assorted audit requests from RIPE, some of which are to do with contact details in the DB (particularly when they find unreachable ones), and some of which are confirming that number resources are still in use by the organisation and for the purpose for which they were issued.

I think the original complaint was that RIPE don't act (or less so than ARIN) to block or otherwise deal with people who are mining the DB for contacts, despite that being an incentive to put "real" data in the DB - not than that they don't push for accurate data in the DB.

Thanks,
Tim.