ARIN email address (was cogent spamming directly from ARIN records?)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Oct 4 15:02:17 UTC 2023

Problem with that theory is the ratio of collateral damage to pain inflicted.

Filter or deeper cogent and they don’t feel anything themselves. Their customers _might_ miss being able to reach your customers (or you), but then it is Cogent’s customers that feel the pain the most and Cogent to a much lesser degree and only as a second order effect.

You will definitely miss connecting to some of Cogent’s customers, so you have also directly inflicted pain upon your self (and likely your customers).

Personally, I would support any of my providers teaching Cogent a lesson this way, but most customers aren’t so understanding or even aware of the situation and they don’t care even if it is explained to them. They expect their packets to get delivered. That’s why they pay you.

It would be nice if there were a way to get Cogent fined or to sue Cogent for these acts and raise their costs directly without harming their customers, but so far nobody has figured out a way to do it. (Perhaps the layer 9 types in the list can put their brains to work on this problem).

Owen