Outside plant - prewire customer demarc preference

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Tue Nov 28 22:45:04 UTC 2023

My relative is buying a new house is a typical American surbuban tract
housing development.  Yep, I'm the extended family I.T. consultant.

The marketing brochure calls it "custom home" but he only gets to talk to
the developer's "design consultants", i.e. sales people.  The developer
has a sales center and pre-set upsell options, kitchen countertop
choices, carpeting, etc. He never talks to the architect, general
contractor, electricians or construction crew.

He paid for a finished basement option, which means most of the basement
will have sheetrock finished walls. So the first cable, fiber or
telephone utility will be cutting holes in the new sheetrock. I was trying
to avoid needing to cut brand-new sheetrock or fishing wire
through walls.

The design consultant's answer for everything was 5G ... 5G ... 5G. No
more ugly boxes on the house, everything will be wireless. There is a
special deal if he signed up for 5G wireless service before his house was
finished.

For something "no one ever asks about," the design consultant seemed to
have a lot of prepared sales pitches.

Acting like a dumb homebuyer over the Thanksgiving weekend I did notice
the model home had a demarc box on the garage outside wall.  The garage
in the model home is used as the builder's office, so it may not be how
the built homes are setup.

A new version of ANSI/TIA-570 (residential wiring standard) is due this
year. In the old days, a minimum of one wired telephone outlet was
required. I was just wondering if there was new 'standard' for demarcs in
new residential construction.  But it sounds like there isn't. Draping
cables around the sides of the house.