ipv6 address management - documentation

Ryan Hamel ryan at rkhtech.org
Fri Nov 17 05:57:01 UTC 2023

Christopher,

A residential customer would be getting their /56 from the providers pool via RA or DHCPv6. With a /32 aggregate, it can handle 1.6 million /56 delegations, which can cover a few regions. It all depends on the planning going into splitting up the aggregate.

A rule of thumb I go by in the datacenter is, a /48 per customer per site, and further splitting it into /64s per VLAN, all of which can be plugged into a spreadsheet formula to produce a valid complete subnet.

Either way, keeping track of IPAM via spreadsheet is a recipe for disaster. NetBox and Nautobot are my choices, and is worth deploying on a server or VPS, even for home labs.

Ryan