Re: Your Input Needed: Can ROA Replace LOA? – Short Survey (7 mins)

Christopher Hawker chris at thesysadmin.au
Thu Nov 16 21:21:29 UTC 2023

Hi Christopher and Tom,

I'll reply to you together, as they seem to be along the same lines.

For the purposes of this survey/research, a reference to an LOA is a reference to an LOA for the advertisement/filtering of IP space. I agree, the acronym LOA has multiple uses in the world of IT for things such as datacentre cross-connects, however given what we are looking into, I believe its quite clear that any references to an LOA is a reference to a Letter of Authorisation for the advertisement/filtering of IP space.

Other facility providers (such as Equinix, see https://docs.equinix.com/en-us/Content/Interconnection/DiLOA/xc-Loa.htm) have already started looking into the realm of digital LOAs for services such as cross-connects. While they are not the same as traditional LOAs, in my belief they are designed to reduce the timeframes in issuing them, having them sent across and completed.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker