Do ISP's collect and analyze traffic of users?

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Fri May 19 19:51:39 UTC 2023

On 5/19/23 6:09 AM, Justin Streiner wrote:
> Hank:
>
> No doubt there is a massive amount of information that can be gathered
> from in-box telemetry.  This thread appears to be more focused on
> providers gathering data from traffic in flight across their
> infrastructure.

Yeah, my curiosity was whether ISP were trying to get in the monetizing
traffic analysis biz which seems to be a small degree but they can't
really compete with the much finer grained information that other means
can provide and that they have no particular expertise in it or an
institutional desire. For things like Google and Facebook, that kind of
analysis was part of their initial business plan.

Mike