Aptum refuses to SWIP

Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) lyndon at orthanc.ca
Mon May 8 00:10:57 UTC 2023

Forrest Christian (List Account) writes:

> I'm also wondering if this might be a "no one that has got the request
> actually has a clue how to resolve your issues"  issue.   I've seen
> situations where companies don't know how to respond to a request outside
> the most common requests they get.  Sometimes some enterprising employee
> will also totally misunderstand your request and do stupid things like do
> exactly opposite what you want them to do like remove correct information
> in an effort to "fix the incorrect info".   And sometimes employees convey
> "we don't have a clue" as "we don't do that".

I long ago resigned myself to the reality that the first response
to any ticket will be a pointless, irrelevant, and mostly content
free reply from somebody who didn't even make an effort to actually
read the ticket.  It generally takes three rounds before the ticket
gets to somebody with a clue.  This applies across the board to
pretty much every vendor/supplier these days :-(

> Have you tried any other backchannels other than NANOG?  Like peeringdb
> contacts (if you have access) or maybe through linkedin or something like
> that?

Someone from Aptum did get in touch and says they will apply the
mallet 'o understanding to the appropriate people inside estruxture.
I don't think estruxture were the actual problem, but if I get a
fix to the problem, that's good enough.  For now.

> Or threaten to change providers at the earliest possible moment?

Our current contract is up in about two years.  Based on what we've
seen out of estruxture/Aptum over the last couple of years,  I'm
certainly going to investigate alternatives.  Bell has much more
modern colo < two blocks from our office.  Now would be prime time
to start planning for a move.

--lyndon