Northern Virginia has had enough with data centers

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Jun 28 18:48:59 UTC 2023

It appears that Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> said:

>On 6/26/23 6:06 PM, Ron Yokubaitis wrote:
>> Dalles: government subsidized Hydroelectric Power, that’s why.
>
>Well that maybe, but electric rates are hella cheap in Oregon regardless.

Well, yeah, that's what he said although I would argue about the
subsidy part. The feds subsidized construction somewhere between 50
and 90 years ago, but the power charges have paid for O+M since then.
If you have the right geography, hydro is really cheap. Just ask the
people in Labrador who sell their power to Hydro Quebec for 0.2c/kWh.

By the way, here in the decadent northeast I pay about 9.5c/kwh
retail. What are the prices like in Oregon?

R's,
John