Northern Virginia has had enough with data centers

Hal Murray halmurray+nanog at sonic.net
Sat Jun 24 22:02:57 UTC 2023

> Even traditional data centers have not been known to be especially
> considerate about scheduling their -loud- genset tests. Doesn't matter so
> much in the middle of an industrial zone but when you do it near where people
> live you're going to make them angry.

Why are gensets loud?

Is there a fundamental physics problem or are they all designed for industrial
areas where the noise isn't much of a problem?

If I wanted a less noisy one, could I get it?  How much more would it cost?

Are the zoning people smart enough to include noise limits?  ...

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.