10G CPE w/VXLAN - vendors?

Ryan Hamel ryan at rkhtech.org
Thu Jun 15 07:21:56 UTC 2023

I would never let the customer manage the CPE device, unless it was through some customer portal where automation can do checks and balances, nor have the device participate in a ring topology -- home runs or bust. If the device fails or has an issue requiring a field dispatch, that is on the customer to help arrange that time and provide on-site contact info, otherwise the SLA clock stops ticking.

Now if the customer refuses to allow the vendor to pickup the CPE (regardless of make/model) and/or building aggregation/demarc + UPS hardware, the police can get called for theft of equipment depending on its value, or customer/landlord is sued depending on what the contract states.

As for Ciena's SAOS feature set, I was only going by the RFC's and protocols listed on some of the higher end CPE equipment. I do not have first hand experience with them.

Tier 1's as in Cogent, Level3/Lumen, Zayo, etc.

Juniper's ACX7024 does look interesting as a building demarc/agg device, but overkill for a single client CPE. It can't hold full tables for transit handoffs, but the customer can establish multi-hop BGP sessions upstream for that.

Ryan Hamel