BGP routing ARIN space in APNIC region

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Fri Jun 9 19:48:50 UTC 2023

Hi Mike,

In general, no, there's nothing that prevents you from doing that.
In days gone by, some networks used to require consistent advertisements
from a given ASN in all locations in order to peer.
In your case, that would have made it economically disadvantageous to use
the same ASN in Makai as California, as you'd end up backhauling a lot of
traffic.
These days, consistent advertisement requirements have largely gone by the
wayside.
Now, from a network reachability perspective, you should also think about
your own internal network connectivity.
If you're using the same ASN in California and Makati, you'll need
redundant internal network connections between the two countries to ensure
you don't end up with a partitioned ASN.
Remember, California won't accept the advertisements from Makati over the
external Internet, as AS-PATH loop detection will drop the announcements;
likewise, Makati won't hear the advertisements of the California IP space.
So, if your network design is a single internal backbone link from CA to
PH, with an expectation that if the link goes down,  you can just use
transit providers to reach the other location, you'll be in for an unhappy
surprise when your backbone link goes down.
For that reason, many networks find that the cost of acquiring a second,
distinct ASN for the remote location is considerably lower than the
headache of trying to ensure the single ASN is never partitioned.

But that's really more from a network design perspective; from a policy
perspective, there's largely nothing preventing you from doing that.

Best of luck!

Matt